All About The Cake!
We all adore cake and the wedding cakes that we see here at Gaynes Park really are fantastic. From naked cakes to delicious cakes covered in gorgeous flowers, there’s a style to suit every wedding. If you’re currently planning your own showstopper then this is a must-read feature because right now, we’re all about the cake!
Why wedding cake?
Firstly, why do we indulge with cake at weddings? The tradition actually dates back to Ancient Rome when enriched breads were broken over the bride’s head for good luck. From there, cakes developed and became a way for families to show their social status. Because the ingredients were so expensive, a big wedding cake symbolised wealth and the bigger the cake, the better! Queen Victoria began the tradition for white iced cakes over one hundred years ago and the term ‘Royal icing’ was coined just for her. Fruit cake, with the top layer saved for the birth of the couple’s first child, became the favoured choice of couples here in the UK for more than a century. However, wedding cakes have changed a huge amount recently and as wedding themselves have become more individual, so have the cakes! Now, if there’s a style, shape, flavour or decoration that you want, your wedding cake can include it!
Styles of wedding cake
When you’re planning your wedding, there’s no doubt that cake will be on your list and you can create anything you want. Lots of couples work with a cake maker to design a cake that works with their wedding style and we also LOVE seeing cakes that include fabulous details that reflect the couple themselves. If you want to know more about your options, read on… Let’s start with traditional wedding cakes. These are usually three stacked layers and are often covered with icing. There might be pillars in between the layers or the cakes can be stacked directly on top of each other. The most traditional wedding cakes will include layers of fruit cake but if you want to mix tradition with something lighter, you could opt for a fruit layer (usually as the base) and other flavoured layers on top. Traditional cakes are often decorated with flowers (fresh or made from icing). These designs are perfect for a traditional or classically elegant style wedding.
If you’re planning a more rustic or country style wedding then how about a naked wedding cake? These are super popular right now and it’s easy to see why because they’re just so pretty! Instead of the cake being covered by thick icing, it’s barely coated with buttercream so that the cake itself can be seen. Couples add flowers, fruits, personalised cake toppers and other decorations to naked cakes and we love seeing them sat on wooden slices in the Mill Barn, just waiting to be cut.
Advice for the perfect cake
When you’re starting to think about your wedding cake, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Do you want to save any of your cake? If you’re hoping to store a layer, speak to your cake maker to find out more.
- How many guests does your wedding cake need to serve? Again, your cake maker will need to know this to make sure that everyone gets to sample a slice.
- Think about your flavours. There are so many options available so don’t be afraid to choose any combination that you like.
- Make sure you taste the cake. It’s so important that you love how your cake tastes as well as being impressed with the design. We often see cakes that look fantastic but can taste dry. Pretty and delicious is what we recommend, plus with many cake makers offering free cake samples, who doesn’t want to try some free cake?!
- Tell your cake maker all about your wedding plans. The more they know about the style of wedding that you’re planning, the easier it will be for them to design the perfect cake for you.
Did you know that all of the amazing wedding cakes you’ve seen here are by one of our recommended suppliers? The Cake Doll can whip up the most amazing creations and even got married here herself! Take a look at her Dusty Pink, Vintage-Themed Wedding for plenty of inspiration. Of course, there’s more to your wedding day feast than cake alone! If excellent food is on your list of wedding priorities then you need look no further than Gaynes Park. Find out more about the menus, seasonal produce and our chosen fine food company here.